Monday 18 January 2016

I lost the sight in my right eye, my sense of smell and had a diminished taste - Graeme Heward

Graeme Heward - Christie patient and fundraiser

Graeme Heward
Five years ago, aged 50, I was going about my daily life, working as a physiotherapist, being father to two boys entering their last few years of school education, playing squash and generally enjoying life. It’s perhaps a stage in many people’s lives when they think of enjoying the fruits of their labour and taking life a little easier, however, my life was about to endure a twist.

The only thing that alerted me that an ‘Alien’ passenger had entered my life was a watering eye. The ‘Alien’ and me, plus a multitude of medical staff from The Christie and other hospitals in Manchester were about to commence a battle. I remember in those early days when my whole life was shaken into sudden turmoil, being so grateful that The Christie, with its wealth of expertise and facilities, was there to support me, my partner and family.

I had been diagnosed with a sinonasal adenocarcinoma following a scan and subsequent operation to remove the tumour, which at the time was thought to be benign. It’s a rare tumour affecting 1 in 100,000 people. Situated in my nasal lining, the tumour had expanded and grown to such an extent that it had fractured my delicately thin bony eye orbit.

As the ‘Alien’ took over, I lost the sight in my right eye, my sense of smell and had a diminished taste. 

Fifteen operations later, following muscle and skin grafts from thigh and abdomen, an autoimmune reaction, two episodes of radiotherapy and one course of chemotherapy; and having completed a gruelling charity fundraising bike ride I was ready to write a book – ‘Riding With The Alien’.

As a physiotherapist, I was in a unique position to see my care from both a patient and a medical perspective. I felt a responsibility, particularly with such a rare condition, to pass on my experience so that other patients and medical professionals could learn from it and see the whole patient picture.  

My book has been written entirely by me in easily understandable language and terminology. I hope it’s an enthralling story that draws you in with emotion and snippets of humour. 

Offering hope and inspiration to sufferers of any kind, it affords an opportunity for family and friends to gain a greater understanding of the patient’s perspective. For those who are sometimes guilty of taking life and good health for granted, it’s a fascinating ‘ride’.

The rollercoaster, with its ups and downs is a theme throughout my book. I explain in detail each operation and many of the consultations and procedures. I describe the effect it had on my health, relationships, finances, occupation and how it nearly forced me and my family out of our home. Through his time my family and I had to cope with incessant battles with the ‘Alien’ and rationalise the prospect of death.

Without the input of the fantastic medical staff, my friends and patients, I would certainly not be here today, nor would my two boys and myself have been able to undertake a challenging bike ride and climb that served not only to raise money for both The Christie and Macmillan, but also became a focus for my recovery.

I was encouraged to write this book by many people, my own patients and the doctors who have treated me, who, having read my internet blog, thought it worthy of a wider audience.  

Recently, I came through my first clear annual scan in four years. I’m going about my daily life now, working as a physiotherapist, being father to both sons who are now studying medicine at Manchester University, playing squash and cycling regularly. Life is a little more difficult now, especially with the loss of my eye, but it has also been enriched by meeting so many fabulous people. 

‘Riding With The Alien’ is available from Amazon in paperback (£7.99) or Kindle (£3.99). Profit from the book sales will go to The Christie.

No comments:

Post a Comment