Monday 16 May 2016

It’s ‘OK to Ask’ is a really important message to patients everywhere - Geraldine Peddie

Geraldine Peddie, Christie patient

I
Geraldine Peddie
was diagnosed with Non Small Cell Lung cancer in December 2007. The lead up to the diagnosis took nearly three months, and this is my story.  


In the autumn of 2007 I could feel a small hard lump just above my left collarbone. I went to my GP who asked about my general state of health, was I losing weight?  Did I have a cough? How was my appetite? As all seemed to be fine apart from the lump we arranged a three week follow up. At the end of three weeks I returned and was concerned as I felt that the lump had increased in size and I thought there was also another lump there. As there were no other symptoms he just advised me to monitor it and come back if necessary.  

Two of my close friends had experiences with lumps. On both of these occasions it had turned out to be cancer and on one occasion her GP had said she didn’t think it was anything to worry about! I asked for a second opinion and was duly referred to a haematologist.  

He took several blood tests and asked for a chest x-ray. After the x-ray, things went at a much quicker pace, with a biopsy and CT scan within three weeks. I had been a smoker but only a very light smoker and had only smoked for about 10 of my 51 years. On 27th December 2007 I was given the diagnosis.

I am so lucky to be alive. The survival prospects of this cancer are very poor. Nearly 80% of those diagnosed didn’t survive for the first year. I made a commitment to myself that I would never regret doing anything and I would definitely never regret not doing anything. I was also fortunate to be symptom free for over six years. In this time I travelled extensively and I really had a great time even though I was “living with cancer.” In 2009 I met my husband and we got married in 2011.

Over my eight years of almost continuous treatment with eight different lines of treatment I feel I have had the best attention that anyone could want for. I became a patient of The Christie in March 2015 when I was enrolled in a clinical trial.

The trial drug was very much targeted to my cancer. Although it is lung cancer there are several types of lung cancer and within each type there may be different properties. I was fortunate enough to have a protein referred to as EGFR (Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor). I had been treated with two previous ‘targeted’ therapies for those who are EGFR positive to great effect. The trial drug was the third generation of this type of drug, especially developed for those who have acquired a resistance to previous drugs.

This has been quite literally a life saver. I had almost exhausted all approved conventional treatments and my cancer was progressing unchecked. From day one of the trial I felt relief and benefit. Dr Krebbs and his team are so attentive and caring. They are always only at the end of the phone for any questions I have and I have felt in very safe hands for the last year.  
Although experimental, the treatment has been very successful with a huge reduction in the size of the tumours initially. There is now only one ‘stable’ tumour left and I am feeling very well.  

There is a big likelihood of the cancer becoming resistant to this treatment, but I am hoping that day is a long way off yet. When that day arrives I would be very interested in what other trials I might be suitable for at the time.  

If anyone reading this has cancer or knows someone who has been diagnosed with it, I would urge them to always ask about clinical trials. The theme for International Clinical Trials Day on 20th May is that it’s ‘OK to Ask’ and I think this is a really important message to patients everywhere. Going on a clinical trial can give you access to the latest treatments and also helps doctors and researchers to develop more effective treatments for future generations.

For further information please visit www.nihr.ac.uk/get-involved/international-clinical-trials-day.htm 





No comments:

Post a Comment