Monday 22 August 2016

As I walk into the hospital as an art room volunteer I feel the optimistic happy atmosphere - Lin Sinclair

Lin Sinclair, Christie art room volunteer


Lin Sinclair
A few years ago my mother came to The Christie to be treated for cancer for about six weeks. She had intensive radiotherapy virtually every day which made her very red and sore.

She told me the nurses used to put cream on her to ease the pain and rawness, and how gentle they were with her. The doctors were also marvellous with her and very sympathetic.

Mum had always said she was a coward, but she was the opposite, she was very courageous, she accepted what she had to go through, and got on with it. She was amazing.

I visited mum every day at The Christie, on my way home from work, which was 40 miles away. It was a really stressful time, but I knew she was in the safest place she could possibly be. I had total faith in The Christie.

As soon as I walked through the hospital entrance I felt calm and peaceful. This feeling has never changed, and carried on when I became a volunteer a few years later.

I think this feeling started from the initial consultation with the doctor. She said to mum “I think we can help you, and get rid of the cancer,” and I believed her.

Eventually mum's skin completely healed and the doctor told her she was cured. They actually used that word, the cancer had gone and they didn’t think it would come back. I couldn’t believe it. But they were right, it didn’t come back.

Before I retired, I had The Christie in the back of my mind, as a place I’d like to work as a volunteer.

I began by doing surveys about the patient experience at The Christie. This could be on the wards themselves or in different parts of the hospital.

I found it fascinating because patients wanted to talk. One teenage boy said to me that the nurses on his ward were more of a family to him than his own family. Even now, I cannot think about that without being extremely moved.

It’s like that through the whole hospital, everyone says the same thing. They all praise the amazing, dedicated, kind staff.

Eventually, I was told there was a vacancy in the art room for a volunteer. It appealed to me because my background is in art and design.

All Christie patients are able to go to the art room, regardless of whether they have any experience in painting or art. They are welcomed with open arms. You don’t need an appointment, you just turn up.

I did not know what to expect, but was stunned when I walked through the door at the high standard of the work.

The patients have an inspirational teacher, Pat, who is rated very highly by everyone in the art room. Her humour and encouragement soon puts everyone at ease, and they start painting and experimenting from the very first session.

Many of the paintings are exhibited on the walls of the hospital and some are for sale too at regular exhibitions. The sale of paintings helps to raise money for The Christie charity which funds the art room and many of the other extra services that the NHS can’t pay for at The Christie.

The art room exists for a very good reason. It’s to take the patient’s mind off their cancer for a few hours. This sounds simplistic but this is a highly complex situation that has a massive psychological effect.

People come to the art room at different stages of their cancer. Some have just been diagnosed, others are having treatment or have had treatment.

They are dealing with the diagnosis, the treatment, plus the effect it is having on their body and their mind. For many it can be overwhelming.

But when they have a paintbrush in their hand and a blank canvas in front of them, they are concentrating on the painting and not the cancer. They are creating something. It seems to change their mental state. They have a new goal and a new focus.

In some cases they are doing something they never thought they were capable of. The whole atmosphere of the room has a calming effect on their minds.

The men and women in the room are able to talk about their cancer to other people who are going through the same thing and share their feelings. They all know how they are feeling, because they have cancer too.

I had no conception of the devastating and complex effect cancer can have on the mental state of someone, regardless of the physical effects of the treatment.

Some people say it completely shatters their confidence. One person said to me that in the very first week of being in the art room her confidence came back. It had changed her life. It’s difficult to understand that, until someone tells you face to face.

There is an intimate, family atmosphere in the art room and friendships are formed and a lot of mutual support is given. There is a lot of humour and affection.

This is not professional art therapy, as the teacher Pat is clear to point out, it’s the actual act of painting that has a therapeutic effect.

My mum was a painter, but she did not go to the art room at The Christie, which I am sure she would have enjoyed.

This is no ordinary art class, it is extraordinary. It is full of humanity, warmth and hope.

When I walk into The Christie, I am always overwhelmed with the optimistic happy atmosphere. It has changed my life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment