Saturday 24 December 2016

The Christie has helped me to make some wonderful memories this year - Suzanne England

Suzanne England
I was very honoured to be asked to speak to over 700 Christie supporters and fundraisers at the annual Christmas concert on 13th December. I want to thank The Christie for inviting me. 

I had been asked to share my experiences as a patient and to reflect on 2016, having raised a significant amount for The Christie during the year.

It was a beautiful Christmassy and uplifting night in the atmospheric Manchester Cathedral. It certainly is the most stunning building I have ever seen. 

The children's choirs were fabulous, sang their hearts out and did their families proud. Jenny Powell, of Wheel of Fortune fame, brought some real humour to the event. The professional singers and musicians were full of festive spirit. My twins were thrilled to hear Natalie McGrath again after she performed at a family wedding earlier this year. Alexander "Buble" Stewart even sang my name in his fantastic version of Feeling Good. Lucky me!

I am so happy that I managed to hold it together to deliver my speech, but having a huge hug from my twins as I came off stage nearly tipped me over the edge!!!! 

As did a little girl in the choir on the front row. She gave me a double thumbs up and the biggest smile ever (toothless just like my twins) whilst dancing around in her reindeer antlers and mini Santa hat headgear! I shed a little happy tear and felt so thankful to have shared that night with everyone there.

I was extremely touched to hear from so many of the audience that my words had given them hope to keep up the fight against cancer, and that it also inspired many to go out and play their part in raising money for The Christie, our truly world class hospital. 

If you weren't at the concert here is my story.........

2016 for me has been about making memories. It’s been about making the most of every moment but also fundraising for The Christie.

With my beautiful twin daughters Evie and Ellie and my husband Rick, we have made memory boxes, planted cherry trees for the children and visited Disneyland together. With even more exciting Christmassy things lined up in the following weeks. 

Being at the cathedral to say thank you to The Christie will be one of the biggest memories of all. That’s why my husband, twins, family and friends all came along to remember how far we have come together, forever.

Thanks to The Christie I am 5 years free of cancer this year!

I truly believe that without The Christie I would not be alive today. They saved my life many times over. For this I will be forever thankful.

Seven years ago, when I was pregnant with my twin girls, they both kicked hard at the same time and broke my ribs. That was how I discovered I had lymphoma! They are my guardian angels!

Evie and Ellie were christened on Easter Day 2010, days before my chemotherapy started.
With Hodgkins lymphoma there is a good chance of survival and this helped me and my family stay positive, looking forward to the twin’s first birthday.

But my lymphoma was aggressive. Six month’s of chemo didn’t work. I was offered intensive salvage chemo as an inpatient at The Christie, hoping this would give me long enough to hear Evie and Ellie speak their first words.

Thankfully, I responded to the treatment and was then offered a stem cell transplant, a high risk option that would potentially give me full remission.

So I spent two months in a germ free bubble on the Haematology and Transplant Unit - the darkest time I have ever experienced.

Following transplant the risk of relapse was extremely high. Luckily I qualified for a clinical trial of Brentuximab Vedotin – now licensed it is being described as the new lymphoma wonder drug. And it worked wonders for me!

For 6 years, I’ve been a patient at The Christie and have also visited most other hospitals locally. The Christie is by far the most outstanding, caring, compassionate, professional hospital. It truly is world class.

Every single member of The Christie team is talented and committed to their patients. It makes being there such a positive experience, even if you have cancer.

The Phlebotomists, Professors, Porters and Physios.

The Consultants, Care assistants, Cleaners, Chefs and Counsellors.

The Registrars, Receptionists and Radiographers.

Not forgetting the amazing Nurses, Students and Volunteers.

And a special mention for Christie bear who is my twin girls’ favourite!

All have brightened my days and helped me maintain a positive outlook.

It goes without saying of course that my lymphoma team are the best, but I’m biased!
Life after cancer is hard but it is priceless. Every second counts.

I’ve had a lot of counselling through Professor Radford’s fantastic team, and am now more able to process what has happened and how it has affected me. It’s helped me to come to terms with my “after cancer identity”, talk to friends and family about my experience and find the right words to thank the people who helped me.

Being able to speak at the Christmas concert and to say thank you to The Christie was a massive milestone for me.

Five years ago, my brother Paul and sister-in-law Grace raised £2,600 for The Christie, running the Manchester 10K! I thought this was amazing!

Five years on, 5 years cancer free, I was inspired to fundraise for The Christie aiming to raise £5,000. I’m no runner but do know how to throw a jolly good party.

I spent 6 months gathering prizes and auction items from local businesses, retailers and influential friends. 

So in July 2016 we held a massive garden party. Friends and family bought tickets, enjoyed a hog roast and bubbly, bid in the auction, danced and won prizes galore. We smashed our target of £5,000, achieving over £20,000. What a memory to have for all involved.

Not only can I now say “I did it for The Christie”, but the Lymphoma department gets funds for vital research to beat cancer sooner.

For the hospital every penny counts. Every ticket and every raffle ticket sold counts. So dig deep! I want to thank everyone who attended the Christmas concert as them just being there made a big difference.

Since having cancer, I now urge everyone to go out and live your life to the max. Enjoy every second and raise money for our world class hospital “The Christie”.


Happy Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment