Monday 7 August 2017

My Blip - Kaye Sawyer

Kaye Sawyer, Christie mobile chemotherapy service patient 

Kaye Sawyer
In 2012 my mum was diagnosed with stage 3 aggressive breast cancer. Aged 71 and still with everything to live for, she didn’t give it the time of day! Mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, she held her head high and punched the cancer in the face. Fast forward four years and it was my turn.

Diagnosed in February 2016 with stage 3 invasive breast cancer and HER2 positive I only had one option and that was to give it what for, just like my mum. I was ready, I knew what was coming and I was going to be just like her, head held high and smiling my way through.

So, after all the appointments and checks, I had my left breast removed BUT had a reconstruction at the same time; I was going under with one and I was coming out with one regardless. I was advised there could be slight complications with the implant and my skin may become tighter after the radiotherapy but hey ho, I’ll meet that if or when it happens.

With surgery a success I was on to chemotherapy, slightly delayed as I wanted to go on a weekend away, and why not? My life’s for living regardless, I will do the things that I can while I can. Punch number 1 done and dusted! 

After a weekend away with my fab colleagues, I began the chemo. My hair began to fall out after the first session but I had short hair anyway and after three sessions I was completely bald. I had the caps and scarves but they didn’t really suit me. I wore one for work once and one of my friends asked me to cross their palm with silver! (It was funny at the time). But knowing I would have no hair I had decided prior to all this to re-invent myself so I had got myself a long-haired wig. I loved it - it was my costume, it was my confidence and it quite suited me (I think!). There were moments of sadness through all this, but not for long.

The Herceptin was introduced to my last three chemo sessions plus the chemo drugs were changed. I had a concoction of madness that put me to bed for a couple of days but only to watch TV and chill out and it was on a weekend so really wasn’t a big deal for me.

I had my chemotherapy nearer to home at the Churchill unit in Bolton. This was far more convenient for me as I had my bloods checked on the way to work on a Tuesday, chemo on the Wednesday and then back in work on Thursday. That’s right, punch number 2, I worked my cancer treatment around my work not the other way around.

I had 18 Herceptin injections to get through (one every 3 weeks) and I was given the choice of The Christie’s mobile unit situated just five minutes from work, in Tesco’s car park to be precise!

I couldn’t believe I was rocking up to a car park to get lifesaving treatment but it is amazing. 

On approach, it’s a big van but on the inside it’s like a Tardis! I have been there every three weeks since September 2016 and I can honestly say it doesn’t feel like I am being treated for cancer at all. Plus, I can nip into the supermarket when I need to and get back to work in plenty of time.

The staff are fabulous of course and I have made really good friends there. We talk about everyday things and as women we chat about hair, make up and nails, swapping tips and truthfully having a good coffee morning! And I was delighted to be part of BBC Radio 5 live’s day of broadcasts from The Christie a few weeks ago, talking about the friends I’d made on the mobile unit.

It’s hard to believe that treatment/chemo is being given when we are all sitting there smiling but that’s the beauty of the chemo bus. There isn’t any waiting around, or walking along corridors and trying to find your way around and feeling nervous as hell. In fact, most ladies I meet here come on their own, it’s that easy.

My radiotherapy started last October, three weeks of going every day and was done at The Christie at Salford, part of Salford Royal Hospital, two minutes away from work so I went there on my lunch break. Punch number 3, I am nearly there!

I had my last Herceptin injection in July 2017. My road will end at the mobile unit but my life will carry on with (in a weird way) good memories of the beautiful people I have met along the way and a few good pictures of me with long hair!

I am only 47. My son Ashley has recently got engaged to his gorgeous girlfriend Abby. My mum is on her last year of medication, Letrozole, and both she and my dad live with me, we take care of each other and now we have a wedding to plan!

My family and friends think I am brave, an inspiration. I just think I have another funny story to tell, it’s called my blip!

Just remember that before that knockout punch you need to ask a lot of questions about the nearest treatment facilities for you, because that’s half the job done. It’s tough enough without the stress of traffic, car parking, who’s taking you, who’s picking you up and what you need to take to keep you occupied throughout the day.

You need all the strength you can get.  Each facility I have been to, for each stage I’ve been through, has been small, intimate and friendly and I have never spent all day waiting anywhere. But the best thing is, I hardly ever felt like I had cancer!  My last words of wisdom will be, rest when you need to, enjoy when you can and listen to your body. Most importantly don’t let the damn thing change you. We all have blips.

IN YOUR FACE CANCER!

You can hear Kaye on BBC Radio 5 live at https://youtu.be/u5MJrj4OBqY

To find out more about our mobile chemotherapy service please visit www.christie.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/your-treatment-and-care/our-treatment-centres/mobile-chemotherapy-unit/


No comments:

Post a Comment