Monday 4 December 2017

To know that my blood donation could help someone during their cancer treatment made me feel really happy - Louise Fennell

Louise Fennell, NHS blood donor

Louise Fennell
I'd wanted to be a blood donor for many years. I first tried to give blood when I was at university, though I wasn't able to donate due to my iron levels at the time (and possibly, like many students, a diet of slightly more alcohol than asparagus contributed towards that!).

Then, after uni, I was focused on setting up two businesses - one teaching cheerleading, the other teaching Pilates - and soon I was busy running classes all over Stockport, with very little free time left.

I was aware that blood donation sessions were held in various venues in Stockport, though the days and times didn't suit my schedules.   

Just before Christmas in 2015 I gave my first donation at Plymouth Grove donor centre in Manchester. I wasn't nervous about donating, but if you are, then it's a great place to go - the staff are all really friendly. Everyone was in Christmas jumpers at the time actually and it didn't feel at all clinical.

Everything went really smoothly with the donation - my boyfriend and I had a race to see who could donate the quickest actually (I won!) - and I remember the nice, warm feeling of walking out of the centre around 45 minutes later, knowing that my donation could help to save lives. Oh, and as a chocoholic, it was a bonus getting some free chocolate before leaving too! 

I was also excited to find out my blood group around a week later when a key ring arrived in the post. I'm O positive, which means my donations can go to anyone with a positive blood group. 

There's a system now too where you get a text message informing you which hospital your donation has been issued to. Not long after donating I heard that mine had been sent to The Christie. I was so pleased!

I've known many people that have been treated at The Christie and everyone has always spoken highly about the quality of care at the hospital. Everyone knows somebody that has been affected by cancer and we're very lucky to have a world-leading hospital in Manchester, with so many experts making a difference on a daily basis. 

To know that my blood donation could help someone during their cancer treatment made me feel really happy. I hope it made a difference to their quality of life at that stage of their illness, even if it just helped them walk down the corridor that day, instead of stay in bed.

Since my first donation, my mum has also needed to receive blood during a short hospital stay, which has strengthened my determination to keep donating. Someone, somewhere spent 45 minutes of their time to give those donations and it makes me feel proud that I'm now a regular at the donor centre. And I'm yet to be beaten by my boyfriend in the donation races either!


To find out more about giving blood and to find a donation centre near your home or work please visit www.blood.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment