Monday 2 May 2016

The Maggie’s centre is a one stop shop of support run by professionals offering practical and emotional support - Louise Hassall

Louise Hassall, Christie patient and Maggie’s volunteer

Louise Hassall
In 2010, at the age of 37, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Nothing can prepare you for what is about to happen to you, your family and your friends both physically and psychologically.


Sometimes all I want is to sit in a calm and friendly environment with people that understand and maybe not even talk about cancer, but to know others around me feel some or the same emotions that I do.

I also want to know that my loved ones have the opportunity to seek refuge in a place that is comfortable, safe and with people who will understand. Often these services are available but can be scattered around and are not always easily accessible at a time when they are required. 

When I found out that a new centre called Maggie’s would be opening I was intrigued as to how this would complement the already great services that The Christie offer. I wanted to know how this would impact me and other patients and how my loved ones may benefit too.

I was therefore excited to be given the opportunity back in the winter to learn more about Maggie’s, meet the centre manager Sinead Collins and see the new building that was just last week opened by Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall.

On a bitterly cold and rainy Manchester day I met with Sinead, the centre manager, donned work boots, gloves, a high visibility vest, glasses and a hard hat and was taken to see the building in progress. Sinead explained each room and how the finished building would look.

Despite the weather and the unfinished rooms I could already feel the calm and peace that this building holds with much of this down to the thoughtful layout and space. The long area through the centre of the building, and the ability to see an exit or the outside no matter where you are, put me at ease and added to the feeling of being relaxed and calm.

With warming fires and a big kitchen table to encourage a meeting place for those dropping in, it will certainly make for a welcoming experience from the moment you walk through the door.  

The centre is a one stop shop of support run by professionals offering practical and emotional support without the need for an appointment, which is important as you can’t always predict when and what support you need, and in my experience if you aren’t able to get the help immediately you often don’t go back.

I felt like it was a haven away from the hospital despite being a stone’s throw away and a great space to go by yourself or with those who you are with, to just sit with a cup of tea.
I couldn’t help but compare my needs throughout the last six years and the services that will be on offer at the Maggie’s Centre.

In the past my husband and I have come out of appointments often having heard bad news and we’ve had nowhere other than a public waiting area, corridor or the car to digest the information - and that can add to your distress. The opportunity to now have somewhere to go that is on the grounds of the hospital will be a huge help and make a big difference.

During the hours of waiting between appointments and chemotherapy where a patient wanders around the hospital or the local area, I and others will be available at the Maggie’s centre to discuss nutrition or to take a class on managing stress, creative writing or an exercise class such as yoga, tai chi or walking. Being able to take your time drinking tea or just sitting serenely without the time constraints you can feel in a café or other public place will add to an improved sense of calmness, and for those who love gardening or find it therapeutic, there is a garden to enjoy and the opportunity to help tend it.

Importantly, the service is available to anyone affected with cancer at any stage, and this includes family and friends who will be made to feel welcome and their emotional needs met too. During many of my operations and procedures my husband pounded the streets of Didsbury, but now he will now have the option to go to Maggie’s where he can chat to others in a warm and welcoming environment and benefit from the services on offer. Knowing that this is available to him already makes me feel better. I believe that the cancer journey can be harder on those supporting you, so Maggie’s will be peace of mind to me and an additional support network to Steve.

The Christie is an excellent hospital, with fantastic staff that do a brilliant job at offering support and services, but the addition of the Maggie’s Centre will add value to my experience and wellbeing as a patient and to all patients, so I am looking forward to using the centre and offering my time to help as a volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment