Monday 5 September 2016

The Christie charity is a very inspirational place to work and is full of people who want to make a difference - Louise Stimson

Louise Stimson, Head of Fundraising, The Christie charity

Being a Manchester girl I am so proud to be the Head of Fundraising at The Christie charity. Friends and family members have passed through The Christie doors at one point or another, which made me more determined to work here.  

I am so pleased to be part of a much loved Manchester institution that helps so many people.

At The Christie charity we raise funds to provide services for patients that go above and beyond what the NHS is able to provide. Whether we are funding the art room or big construction projects such as the forthcoming Integrated Procedures Unit, our primary concern is ensuring that patients are able to receive the best treatment and care possible.  

When I started in my role a year ago, in September, I remember being really excited to work here. Meeting my team and other colleagues only reaffirmed that I had made the right move. The charity is a very inspirational place to work and is full of people who want to make a difference. I see this passion from our staff on a daily basis.

One of my first duties when I started was to host the ‘Walk of Hope’ at Tatton Park. Meeting so many inspirational people in one evening was quite overwhelming but it left such a positive impression on me.  

Walking through the corridors in the hospital and seeing patients being helped by our hospital staff reminds me why I’m here and constantly reignites my passion for raising those much needed funds.

People have many different reasons for fundraising for us, they might be receiving treatment here or might have been a patient themselves in the past. We also have lots of fundraisers who are the friends or relatives of someone who has been treated by The Christie. I hear wonderful stories from our supporters all the time about the excellent treatment and care they have had from the doctors and nurses.

Our supporters raised an amazing £15.9 million last year which is the most we have ever raised. It makes me so proud to head up this successful fundraising team which, through the money raised, makes such a huge difference to the lives of Christie patients.

This year we have introduced a number of exciting new events, one of them being the Fire Walk in March which definitely caught our supporters interest. As it was so popular we are hosting another one next March so sign up quick! As I’m not a runner or a cyclist, this event enabled me to participate in one of our sporting challenges. It was certainly nerve wracking to be the first person to walk across the coals that evening but I’m so glad to have taken part. My next challenge will be the Great North Swim next year and I will be starting my training soon!

We are a very fortunate charity as we have so many active supporters, but we need that support more than ever. We have exciting and ambitious plans for the future.

We want to be able to continue to bring more of the world’s leading cancer experts and their teams to Manchester as part of our academic investment plan focusing particularly on six identified themes - lung cancer, radiation therapy, haematological oncology, women’s cancer, melanoma and personalised/stratified cancer therapy.

We also plan to bring more state of the art innovative equipment to The Christie, including a revolutionary MR Linac scanner enabling experts to deliver more targeted, personalised and advanced radiotherapy for our patients.

We are also raising £4.8m to build an Integrated Procedure Unit. This development is needed to match demand for day case medical procedures such as minor surgery and endoscopies, which are all increasing. This will enable a patient’s treatment to be less fragmented across the site.

Our fundraising continues this year for a dedicated research room on our new proton beam therapy centre, and it is wonderful to see the build progressing so fast on the site. This year we will also be raising funds to replace the outdated patient entertainment system with a hospital wide, multi-media entertainment and information system. Our vision is that this will be a mobile ‘in-flight’ style infotainment service for both inpatients and outpatients.

We will be launching a new fundraising campaign in the autumn which I know will inspire more and more people to get involved with the charity. I can’t say much more about it at the moment but it’s all very exciting!  We are also so pleased this year to be able to announce that we are the official charity partner for the 2017 Great Manchester Run. We will have the partnership for the next three years and it also involves the introduction of a new half marathon on the same day! Soon we will also be announcing a new event that we will be hosting in March 2017 at Beetham Tower in Manchester City centre. Watch this space!

One thing I’ve learnt in this job is that there are always lots of great things going on at The Christie and lots to do to make sure we can fund them, but I know that my team and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s an absolute pleasure to do what we do and I’m very lucky to do this job.



No comments:

Post a Comment